Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Swim for Distance

Most swim races have a set distance and the person who completes the distance fastest is considered the winner.  Sometimes my informal Friday group sets a finish time and we stagger our starts in order to finish right at the set time (slow people get a head start).  The team switched things around yesterday and set a time and we each swam as far as we could.
I found a form from 2001 (spring in Ithaca?  fall in Claremont?) and D. recorded my distance - just six seconds shy of 3600 yards.

Last year I ditched the swim and went on a short tour of California Missions.  Two years ago the event was swum long course (50m), but if I ignore the fact that it has fewer turns I would convert my 3200m swim (with 15 seconds to spare - I could watch the clock as I swam) to 3500 yards.

This year we swam 25y and I could not see the clock.  I asked a friend to ring the cowbell at 15 minute intervals, which he did.  I was too far away to hear the bell, I couldn't see the clock, and I couldn't keep count for that long.  I just swam.
I was amazed that I swam 3710 yards!  I felt like I had been picking up the pace at the end, but the times show otherwise.  I suppose it was just more effort.

So no records, no medals, just the satisfaction of a good swim.  Now to prepare for the Turkey Trot!

No comments:

Post a Comment