Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pilgrim Place Festival

Last year I wrote a lot about this festival, but it is such a big event in town that it deserves another post.

After arriving close to opening I headed first to kitchen goods (nothing I needed that my mom doesn't own that she would probably give to me if I asked), then a quick look at children's books (didn't find any I wanted that I didn't already own, plus I am working hard to stop buying things just because I want to give them to someone so they'll have a good home).
I stopped in the plates and glasses and bought one little plate, but I am not sure I'll keep it because it doesn't stack well with our other little plates.  I finally made it into my favorite room, but they were out of clipboards, which is something I do buy to give away, but I give to A.'s teacher, so that doesn't count.
from 1979 - I hope the paper is still sensitive
I did buy some sun sensitive paper that I didn't need, but it is fun to choose things and let the sun make a picture.  The only other purchase I made was fruit - satsuma tangerines, persimmons, and guava (which are all gone or I would post a picture).
I shared with a friend how much I liked persimmons and she invited me over to take from the remains of her harvest.  She said she would remember me for next year and she gave me two recipes!

What made this year different was that I sat on the other side of the table for two hours.  I was assigned fabrications, which means aprons, coasters, purses, capes, and anything that can be made with fabric.
Working allowed me to interact more with the residents and with people who stopped by.
Our booth was across from the stage.  I enjoyed the music,
but couldn't quite hear all of the story being told,
which was at least partially about an American soldier
arriving at a concentration camp.
Henry Hayden original
I couldn't resist going back the next day to buy a little art made by a resident.  I resisted other temptations (including more guavas because someone had just bought all the remains ones!).  
I stopped by a small art show in hopes of buying a batik tablecloth, but someone had been there early and bought a stack of large tablecloths.
I resisted the temptation to buy a batik scarf.
After crossing paths with a friend who had come from another art gallery I made one more stop.  Lucky for me the one piece I loved was not for sale because I am already wondering where to put the art I bought earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment