Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Vocabulary

When a new event occurs there is a whole new vocabulary that goes with it.  When I had a kid I learned words like meconium and colostrum.  With car shopping these days there are words like CCID (charge circuit interrupting device) and Li-ion, or Lithium-ion polymer battery.

Now with a new health issue I have learned a lot.  It started with a hearing test and discussion of unilateral or asymmetrical hearing loss, which is a considered unusual, especially in someone my age.  The head and neck doctor (formerly known as ear, nose, and throat doctor) asked if I had tinnitus (ringing in the ear) or vertigo.  Nope.  He recommended an MRI, which seemed unnecessary since I had one symptom.  I said I would get back to him.

I looked into and decided the test was not invasive and would conclusively show whether there was something to be concerned with.  I wrote about my experience here.

I got a call right away saying an acoustic neuroma was found.  They call it a benign tumor, but I would call it non-malignant.  It is causing the hearing loss, looks like it is pressing on the brain stem, and is now pressing on a facial nerve causing some numbness on my lip and tongue.  At first I thought I had burned my mouth but knew I hadn't had anything hot.  Then I thought it might be an allergic reaction to ground nuts, like my mom and sister have, but I hadn't had any ground nuts.  I kept being puzzled by this until I read that this is a common symptom.

So now I have two symptoms and both are mild.  I could easily go on like this forever.  That isn't an option.  If the tumor continues to grow the symptoms become more severe.  But doing something about the tumor is not so pleasant either.

One option is ignore it, but since mine is about 2.5 x 2.5cm it is on the border between medium and large the watching and waiting option has been eliminated.  Another option is to radiate it and there are a few modern ways of doing this so that the focus is right on the tumor without causing damage to surrounding things, like the brain.  Another option is surgery, of which there are a few kinds.  All treatments are described here.

The Kaiser specialists are based in San Diego.  They are surgeons and didn't explicitly recommend surgery, but almost.  They did point out that if we met with radiologists they would probably recommend radiology.  D. and I had a lot of questions and the doctors spent over an hour answering them.  We left feeling unsure of the right course, but decided to sleep on it.

I awoke the next morning and the answer was clear.  I would have retrosigmoid surgery that would remove the tumor, attempt to preserve hearing, and attempt to preserve the facial nerve.  I understand there are risks, but I am hopeful.  I have passed through most of the denial and anger phase and have arrived incompletely at the acceptance phase.

The good news is that the surgery will be between semesters and Nurse D. will be at my side.  People have already offered to cook meals and send healing thoughts my way.  I will probably be out of the pool for at least a month, but I am looking forward to returning to the things I love, even if it takes time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so lucky to have you as my big sister. I appreciate the maps you share when you chart new territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping on it was such a good idea, wish I could be there, but instead I'll be thinking of you and your family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy: I just heard about this day before last, and am fervently hoping you are home, recovering nicely, and able to enjoy a marvelous, healthy New Year! I know your friend advised not to e-mail or call, but I sure would love to hear a more recent update about how you are doing. I will send a get well card via snail mail! Love you,Daphna

    ReplyDelete