Thursday, April 25, 2013

Screen Free Week


Our family talked about participating in Screen Free Week last year, but it didn't get a lot of support.  This year we said it was optional and even offered a bribe (money toward an activity, like a Lego set).

There isn't one right way to do it and each person will decide what it means (is Skyping allowed?  using the computer for work or school okay?).  I have my own list, which excludes Facebook, newspapers, and comics.  I won't post here and won't check the weather.  I will still use the computer for volunteer activities and to communicate with the school.

I will buy the LA Times on the days we don't have it delivered.  Maybe I'll write in the kids' baby books, which has been on my to-do list for a year.  Maybe I'll work on the sweater I started ages ago.  I am hoping we play more board games, including Iota, which I read about on one of my favorite blogs.

I hope you'll let me know how your week goes if you decide to give it a try.

p.s.  I am adding this after reading a bit more of the Screen Free Week material.  If the American Academy of Pediatrics supports reducing screen time, maybe we can eliminate screens in pediatric waiting rooms (yes, I know it entertains without sharing germs toys harbor, but maybe we can find another option?).  Maybe restaurants could have screen-free sections so people have a choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment