Monday, April 22, 2013

Culture in the morning

A.'s chamber orchestra director was so excited about taking the group to the Disney Concert Hall to hear the L.A. Philharmonic that it was contagious.  Even though A. gets sick on the bus he was enthusiastic to go and even happier when I said we could drive there.

I was excited to be included because I have fond memories of going to similar concerts at Severance Hall.
 We got there early and had time to walk around the building, 
which looks nothing like the Severance Hall.

The inside color scheme goes well with A.'s sneakers and pants.

No one was at the instrument petting zoo so A. could try the violin, viola, and percussion instruments.

This is a close-up of the flower in the background of the previous picture.

After we met up with the group we got to take part in a percussion (boomwhacker, tambourine, and hand drum) rhythm workshop.  It was a good idea to have some participatory event before having the kids be quiet members of the audience.

The bearded fellow on the cover of the program is Mussorgsky and the other four people are student composers whose works had their world premier at the concert.  The students I was sitting with seemed fascinated that teenagers could be composers and especially enjoyed seeing them in person (although they were disappointed to be unable to get autographs).

A big thanks goes to Foothill Philharmonic Committee for making this possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment