Irma logo
Women dressed up as Irma handing out candy
to celebrate the chain's birthday.
If balloons represent birthdays in the US, flags are the key to celebrating birthdays here - on the candles, on the cake, on the napkins, lining the driveway, in the flowerpots, along the fence, and the large flag on the flagpole instead of the wimple (long, skinny kind).
Free samples of wine (maybe four or five different kinds?) were being offered at the store, along with a little cup of peanuts.
not Irma, but yet another store offering free wine samples
I think there must have been many birthday specials because I have never seen grocery store lines so long, especially at Irma, which is known for having a good variety, but high prices. At least I got to see the sights while I waited.
juice from red currants, cranberries, elderberries, and black currants
(didn't see the cherry juice I remember from Hungary,
or grape juice)
alcoholic ginger beer, not like my favorite boarding school books
and organic beer, which may be in the US but I have never noticed it
because it is not right by the cash register.

No comments:
Post a Comment