Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Big City, part one

When I was in Denmark last year I said I would get to Copenhagen and never did, but this time I dragged myself away from the familiar and took the train to town.  It may not be as stunningly beautiful or entertaining as other major European cities, but I do like the buildings and bicycles and little surprises here and there.

From the main train station (hovedbanegĂ„rden  - head track farm - fun with compound words) I headed for the National Museum, which is having a special Viking exhibit.  School kids in period costume were running around with iPads, scanning notices and watching videos.  It definitely had their interest, but I think I have now had my fill.

I did go visit my favorite room (my second favorite, the coin room, was closed), which looks like a bunch of doll houses, but you can go behind them and see into each room.  It was nice to be alone and spend as much or as little time on each exhibit as I wanted.

view from the back

view of the whole room

Here are a random assortment of photos (I promise I deleted many more, but some of you keep saying such nice things that I don't mind posting some of them).

a playground

the mail carrier's bicycle

another maintenance cover to go with this old post

There are upright trashcans along the walk and 
this tilted one along the bicycle path.

The lesser version of the coat of arms of Copenhagen is on bus stops, 
but I hadn't noticed it on a bench before today.



1 comment:

  1. I love all the different manhole covers. I have a collection of photos of these also.

    ReplyDelete