Thursday, July 9, 2015

Definitions

What is a vegetarian?  If one avoids animal products except for meatball sandwiches is that person a vegetarian?  How about someone who doesn't eat meat except in someone else's house when it is being served?  How about eating animals only in order to give blood?  And is there some Grand Exalted Vegetarian who hands out the approval?

In 1994 we started keeping a vegetarian diet at home to avoid issues about separate meat and dairy dishes for visiting friends who kept kosher.  We still don't serve meat at home and try to follow the same pattern elsewhere, but no one monitors any one else's meat consumption.

BUT yesterday I went to the market to buy liver in hopes of being able to donate blood.  I was hoping they would prepare it in their deli and didn't have a plan in case they would not.  The butcher said they had been given a small supply on the previous day and wouldn't get more until the next day.  He suggested roast beef from the deli, which would not need cooking.  I looked at it and decided I couldn't do it.  I even looked at hot dogs, but they were only 6% iron per serving.  Not worth it.  I had more grapenuts and raisins and had no problem giving blood on the second try.

All this has me thinking about being a vegetarian.  I decided that I can call myself what I want and eat what I want and let the people who care more deeply choose the label they want.


No comments:

Post a Comment