Sunday, July 5, 2015

Claremont's Grand Old Fourth


Last year I admired a friend's shirt, which had the city's logo and the year's winning theme.  Guess who is now on the committee and got to wear a handsome shirt!  At least it provided me with a new angle for the blog.

During the year I went to meetings during which we chose the theme, talked about fireworks and the drought, and a few other topics.  The city people do almost all the work but I appreciate having a few other people involved.

Answering questions and selling tickets to the fireworks was my first task.  Not spending the whole time chatting was only a small challenge.

After my shift I had a chance to listen to a couple of speakers at the T. Willard Hunter Speakers' Corner.
I heard the reading of the Declaration of Independence and talks about the state of school funding and why Pilgrim Place is the conscience of the community.

The Grand Marshall
My next duty was escorting parade dignitaries to their vehicle.  A reception was held to gather them in one place, an event that was started after having distracted people miss the parade.  I was lucky that the people I escorted were happy to walk with me.
I was worried I would miss the parade, which is my favorite part of the day.  D. saved a spot for me and I was there in time to see Uncle Sam, Girl and Boy Scouts, a couple marching bands, 
and the Sycamore School float, which celebrated the beginning of a year of celebrations.

The grand finale was the fireworks show, where I walked around like a cigarette girl, but sold glow items instead.  I finished my shift in time to join friends on the field.

Because of the drought the fireworks were almost cancelled (it takes a lot of water to make the area damp enough to prevent a fire), but it was decided to have a show with smaller rockets, which don't go as high.  People were concerned about the quality and the consensus was that a good time was had by all.  You might be able to see a brief version here.

What a great holiday!  I was sorry not to be celebrating in Ohio, but there is always next year.

1 comment:

  1. I was in Ohio last year and definitely saw more fireworks there than I did here (my here) with all the fog.

    ReplyDelete