Sunday, July 12, 2015

Pleasant surprise

It is good to be intelligent (and charming and good looking), but it is great to be lucky!

I took a risk several weeks ago and booked a campsite, the only one that I could find that was available in reasonable driving distance.  And why was it available?  Because there was an out-of-control fire in the area.  It started June 17 and figured it had to be contained at some point.

I finally gave up and at 11am on Saturday was looking into how to get a refund and saw that the status had changed to open!  No one else was home so I called A.'s friend and started packing.

We arrived to perfect weather, a great campsite that included bear boxes, and hiking trail a few steps away.

The hike included a creek crossing ended at a lake.  We saw two people fishing and that was it. So lucky!!
Not surprisingly campfires were forbidden, which made it challenging to make s'mores.  We persevered.
This morning those of us who were able to sleep last night went for a hike in the other direction.  There was a log crossing but nothing exciting before we turned around.

After breakfast, a rousing game of Uno, and cleaning up we set off for home.  I can't wait to return!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if in places where the fire was they're like "heck yeah, have a campfire, not like you can burn the place down again!"

    I'm impressed at your speedy packing.

    ReplyDelete