Wednesday, July 29, 2015

adventure in LA

What a great day!  I almost changed my mind at the last minute and I am so glad I decided to go watch some of the Special Olympics!  It was easy to take the train, subway, and bus.
On the way to the pool I met a Belgian couple whose daughter won a gold yesterday.  We walked to the pool together and I got to hear a bit about the event from their point of view and answer a few of their questions (Do Americans really eat doughnuts for breakfast?  Is USC the biggest campus in the country?).
The swim meet was running ahead of schedule so there were not much was happening when I arrived, but eventually I got to see the prelims of the 25 backstroke.

Inclusion, dignity, and respect for all.
This was definitely not just for show but was truly demonstrated.  Teammates, volunteers, officials, family, lifeguards, and spectators made it a supportive environment.  Enthusiastic cheering from the stands and arm pumping in the pool created a warm, fuzzy feeling!  To see so many people from so many countries working together to include people who may be taunted or worse other times left me with a feeling of hope.


Since I had some free time before I needed to home I chose to visit the festival.  Google was using a 3D printer and showing some hands they had made, Coca Cola was sharing soft drinks they sell in other countries, and some groups were providing opportunities to send messages to athletes or make signs.
Of course it was a chance to pick up some loot, too!
On the bus ride home I ran into someone I had met on the first bus.  He encouraged me to go to the convention center and it was smart to listen to him because I had the chance to chat with some Hungarians (who had won gold in bocce), watch rollerskating races,
see cheerleaders (wearing Special Olympics uniforms),

and catch a high-energy game of handball being played by Germans and Russians.

I saw two people I knew during the day.  One was a Claremont friend who was at USC with her family for the day. The other was a fellow from Bolivia who had stayed in Claremont before the games began.  We had chatted a couple times and were very happy to see each other again.

If you are close by I would encourage you to attend an event!

1 comment: