Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Recipes

Last June friends were leaving for sabbatical and gave me an enormous bag of lemon juice, which I vowed to use before they got back.  I suppose I work best with a deadline so their return next week motivated me to find a couple recipes.

Two cups of juice went into a double batch of lemon sorbet.  I don't have an ice cream maker, but I will put this into a food processor, refreeze it, and repeat.

I had to find a new lemon bar recipe because mine calls for only 1/3 cup juice and this one used a full cup.  The kids said it was messy but yummy.  Unfortunately, D. doesn't like lemon flavored foods.

with toasted coconut
without
He does like marzipan, which is the main ingredient in these cookies.  They were both very sticky, but the one with toasted coconut flakes held together a bit better.  Despite that, my taste testers preferred the plain.


The final project (other than dinner) was to use up a bit of apple cider and some half-price apples from farmers' market.

It was a treat to have so much time in the kitchen.  We had taken a family trip to the kitchen store in Glendora and I got to use the new utensils (rubber spatula, metal spatula, and zester) I bought with my birthday money.  Plus, the house smelled great.

No comments:

Post a Comment