Monday, January 27, 2014

Seasoning

I was given some birthday money to spend and wanted to wander around the cooking store in Glendora, but it is closed on Sundays and Saturdays seemed to fill up.  We finally forced it onto our family calendar and headed off for adventure.  In addition to a new metal spatula, rubber spatula, and zester I replaced a small skillet I had bought ten or fifteen years ago because it had been highly recommended and was deeply discounted.

It says on the bottom that it is a Look skillet, but I can't find that company anymore.
It was our only non-stick skillet (safety concerns, but this was a new type at the time),
but it is no longer non-stick.
My new skillet is not the beautiful $125 enameled cast iron, but just plain cast iron.
What is different about this one is that I didn't do the traditional seasoning, but tried the Cook's Illustrated ultimate way to season.  This involved flaxseed oil, multiple rounds of opening pores, and a 550ºF oven.  I finally finished and haven't noticed the difference, but I hope time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment