Saturday, September 29, 2018

Part of the Club

When I was in Cleveland (oops - I forgot to blog about Cleveland - stay tuned) I made it to the amazing art museum but was not able to get ticket for the Yayoi Kusama exhibit that was there.


A friend told me about a free Kusama exhibit in Los Angeles at a museum I had never heard of. I ordered the tickets in August and September 28 seemed far off. One day melts into the next and the future was here! There was no way I was going to drive and even though public transportation is not quick, it was pleasant.

Because of timing of the buses from the metro stop it was just as fast to
walk the last stretch along Wilshire Blvd. Not exactly scenic, but still interesting.

Dates below and above.
As I got closer I saw banners for an Ai Weiwei exhibit that I thought I would enjoy, too.

Waiting to get in the Marciano Art Foundation I learned that it was the first day of the Life Cycle exhibit! My lucky day! Not only that, there was a tour and while they were talking about the Spouts and Sunflower Seeds I was able to go into the Black Box room to see the Life Cycle sculptures. 
The Sunflower Seeds are closest to the photographer, Spouts are
in the center of the picture, and Life Cycle is the farthest exhibit.

Not only was there the central sculpture (shown on the website), 
there were enormous pieces suspended from the ceiling and


a variety of sculptures on the wall that made curious shadows.
A line had formed by the time I was done reading about the exhibit and the different quotes and heading to the main room. I was so lucky to have seen it, not waited, and did not feel rushed.

I overheard someone asking a museum staff person about the other exhibits and she recommended seeing the Kusama exhibit so I headed there next.
I couldn't believe it was completely empty!
And now I have joined all my Cleveland friends, who have shared amazing pictures!

Normally visitors are limited to two minutes but since there were just a few of us we could take as long as we wanted. I don't know how long I was in there, but I wish I stayed only two minutes. Lucky for me, the wooziness wore off quickly.
In addition to the art I enjoyed the relic room, which has artifacts from the building's previous use, a Scottish Rite Masonic Temple. It was designed by Millard Sheets (remember his mural in the converted bank that is now a ceramics museum? And his gallery at the LA County Fair? He was a busy guy.) There is a lot of information from their site here.
I decided to walk back to the metro stop along Fifth St., which was completely residential.
Nice neighborhood!
I had fun poking around the Korean market to find something for lunch.
And then it was home again, home again, jiggety-jig. I am glad I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment