Saturday, September 12, 2015

Speechreading

The purpose of Speechreading/Lipreading is to increase awareness of the visual aspects of speech, primary mouth shapes and movements, as well as facial expression, gestures, body movements, and awareness of context. Analysis of appearance of various speech sounds, and silent practice sounds, words, phrases, and sentences will be included. This should lead to better understanding of others spoken words, especially for those with hearing loss. Tips for positive coping with hearing loss will also be shared.
All this within cycling distance and for free!  I enrolled in this class partially because I wanted to know what the coaches are saying to the players when you see them on t.v., but since I seldom get to see a situation like that I imagine I'll be using it more in loud restaurants and other places where can see the person I am trying to hear, but just can't hear them.

Lipreading is the less-used term because watching the rest of the body gives clues to what is being said.  Our teacher slowly lost her hearing between ages eight and nine and thought she could still hear since she remembered sound and was lipreading.  She now has cochlear implants (her daughter, who had the same hearing loss pattern, does not), but still relies on speechreading, although not as much.

I did very well on the pretest, but was surprised to get some wrong.  I seldom realize I have not heard or misheard something.  Being overconfident prevents me from asking someone to repeat or clarify something because I am so sure I knew what was said.  I can work on that.  I am also working on asking questions that can be answered yes or no instead of multiple choice.  Instead of asking someone, "Did you say where or when?" I should ask, "Did you say where?" because yes and no look more different on the mouth.

Come visit and we'll practice together!

No comments:

Post a Comment