I don't usually complain, but yesterday was too much.
A. is scheduled to start volunteering next week but proof of a negative tb test is required and so I thought I would go online and see when his most recent test was. Because of HIPPA requirements I can longer see his immunization records. Annoying, but I understand that it is federal law and I am not about to change that. I figured he could set up his own account and learn to download his own information, make his own appointments, etc. Good life skills. But he is not allowed to have an account because he is too young. So a whole year in limbo of no one being able to do anything online.
I called to ask about this and was told I could just going into the office. Yes, I could, but it would certainly be easier if I could download and print it at home. The person took an official complaint and was talking as she typed, asking if I were unhappy about the fact that I did not have access to his information. I explained again that I understood HIPPA, but was unhappy that since I did not have access to his information that HE should have access to HIS information. Oh, he is too young, I was told. Just go into the office. Aaagh.
But I did find a copy of his immunizations that I had downloaded for camp and it showed that his last negative test was to enter kindergarten many years ago. I called to schedule an appointment and since it is a holiday weekend I was told that if it were administered on Friday he would have to go to urgent care on Monday. I made an appointment for Tuesday, figuring that it was inconvenient but we could make it work. When A. came home he pointed out that he if went on Tuesday he would be late for his after-school class. FIne we would go in and get one today, which I had been told we could do without an appointment if we were willing to wait. Plus urgent care isn't so close to our house but it is close to our friends' house and they just got a puppy. It would all work out.
So we get there and wait and wait. After one hour we were seen and the nurse said she had just been informed that she was not allowed to administer the test because the urgent care people didn't want to deal with it. Any urgent care. If we had only been seen earlier. Aaagh. I asked about several options. No luck.
An hour lost and no volunteering this week. I guess if that is worst thing I can handle it.
But isn't there always a silver lining? Of course. I hate that they have annoying tv shows on in the waiting room, but they were showing Jeopardy! Wishing you some joy in your day, too.

Guh! It does seem wrong that you lose access to seeing it online before A has access to seeing it online. The intersection of well meaning laws.
ReplyDeleteI remember being upset that Cumberland had a teen swim night and a 21+ swim night, but nothing for 20 year olds.