You may remember that a homograph is a word that looks like another but has a different pronunciation and a different meaning, like wind (when the air moves things) and wind (what you used do to a watch). A homophone is a word that sounds alike but has a different spelling, like to/too/two. Where does homonym come in? Most people use it as a synonym for homograph, and we'll leave it at that for this post.
I couldn't find the work homophene anywhere, but my speechreading teacher (formerly lipreading, but they encourage the person reading the lips to look at the face and gestures, too) says it is a set of words that look alike on the mouth. Look in the mirror and check out fan and van. Or mat and bat. Thank goodness for context!
Yesterday I had my hearing tested and today the NY Times had an article about hearing loss (here). They say the longer I go without an aid the harder it will be to adjust, so I am thinking about a CROS aid, which takes sound from the deaf side and sends it to the good ear. A surgically implanted BAHA aid does the same, but I am not ready for more surgery.
In the mean time, I will look at you carefully as you speak!
No comments:
Post a Comment