Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Eagle Has Taken Off

I am guessing everyone else went to the Griffith Observatory on July 20 to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the first man on the moon. We went the next day when there were still special events but (I am guessing) smaller crowds.

We used the free parking at the Greek Theater and walked uphill to the observatory. Even though we felt like we had great views, we were really seeing only a small part of the park.

Before the observatory opened we were able to look around, including checking out the week-long demonstration of Apollo 11's path (see above). I was amazed how many tourists were there! It was a great place to take pictures and a fantastic free museum.

Once inside we made our way to the special exhibit and heard the museum staff highlighted some of the science behind the space mission.  We could also listen to the live feed from fifty years ago on July 21, when the astronauts were on their way home. We also enjoyed hearing the director (Edwin C. Crupp, Pomona College '66) as he described some of the exhibits.

Other exhibits described space, how it has been explored, and
how to teach about it, including this analog star projector.

Being on the roof reminded me of being on the roof of
Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona. 
If only it were closer and if only there weren't a small observatory just a mile from our house I might go more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment