Saturday, March 9, 2019

Covered Dish

I am part of a Buy Nothing community that encourages people to offer items and patiently wait for people to share why they would like to have the item, not just give it to the person who happens to be online at the moment. People may also request specific things from the group. It is a caring and generous set of folks.

This item was offered and I really wanted it, but it was gifted (the group's word) to someone else. I mourned the loss of the item even though I didn't even know I wanted it before I saw it. We had been putting the butter on a plate and covering it with a bowl, which was functional but not elegant. 

I was telling this to a friend, who said she had one never used. It was teeny tiny and just didn't work for us. I guess that is why it didn't work for her, either.
I went to several thrift stores and saw nothing at all or some awful butter dishes. Sigh.


And then there was a joyful event. On the first Thursday of each month I go to a local retirement community's rummage sale and this beautiful pyrex butter dish was sitting on the shelf. So much happiness for a quarter!

But there is a problem. Most west coast butter is shaped like the stick on the right, but the butter dish is shaped for butter like the one on the left. I can find that shape, but it tends to be the more expensive brands. I guess we'll live it up. The other problem is that butter can last a long time out of the refrigerator because it is high in fat, but it starts to break down when exposed to light for too long. So now I am back to coveting the butter dish I didn't get! Maybe I should just solve it by using up the butter more quickly? 

1 comment:

  1. For a while we used a butter bell, like this one:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D2wRJFfEjsQ/maxresdefault.jpg

    But now we either keep it in the fridge or put a bowl over a plate.

    ReplyDelete