Thursday, June 28, 2018

Labels

I appreciated the labels of everything in Iceland, even if I could not read them. Every creek we crossed had a name, every part of a waterfall, every little street.

Dynjandi

Strompdljúfrafoss

Göngumannafoss

Hrísvaðsfoss
(hmm, I am not sure how to type the Icelandic d, know as eth)

Bæjarfoss
Near Geysir, seen on the first day.
According to this site the name means The Royal Spring,
in honor of the visit of Denmark's King Christian IX in 1874.

My sister lived in Sweden for a year and I lived in Denmark for year. Despite our combined language skills we could not pronounce or understand most Icelandic. Icelandic does no use Q or W but has several extra vowels. In addition to the eth  (ð,Ðthere is also the thorn (þ/Þ). We had no problem getting by in English.



p.s. Found another sign among my pictures.
The signs are related to the rocks and the tradition of carrying them to show strength and
the ability to be a good defender, or so I gather from reading different translated pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment