Sunday, April 22, 2018

Beyond my expectations

You say SYE-clah-VEE-ah, or maybe sih-CLAH-vee-ah, and I say SEE-clah-VEE-ah.  It doesn't matter because we all have fun! We were so lucky to have CicLAvia come out to the eastern edge of the LA County for the first time.

Despite volunteering at the beginning at end of the Earth Day events at the Claremont hub,
I had time to join D., A., and his friend for a quad ride along the route.
It was the best people watching, bicycle watching, and dog watching event ever.
Dogs
  • dog in a side car of a classic bicycle
  • dog in a handmade basket with its front paws on the shoulders of the cyclist
  • dogs in front baskets, dogs in trailers, dogs in backpacks

People
I think there must have been one of every kind of person. It reminded me of the old Armour hot dog ad, although I hope everyone was healthy.
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks
Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox
Bicycles (too many pictures to post!)



Not shown - tricycle penny farthing, two-wheeled vehicle with the rear hub off-set from the center (spokes of all different lengths), motorized unicycle, and skateboards being ridden like paddle boards.

(Edited to add that there are much better people, bicycle, and dog pictures other places, like the area newspaper.)

This was my view during a relatively quiet part of the ride.

A. maybe have collected the most freebies since he was riding at the end and people were happily giving away sunglasses, little backpacks, and bike lights, but I liked my loot best.
Collectable stickers seem to be popular for bike rides around here.
I was also happy to get a patch kit (for flat tires) for David
and he earned a tote bag for me by supporting the farmers market.
I don't really wish it happened every year (closing roads and coordinating four cities is a lot of work), but I thoroughly enjoyed my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment