Saturday, December 19, 2015

Food habits

In the kids' classrooms in Denmark there were refrigerators for storing lunches.  When we visited a school in Barcelona and asked about buying versus bring a lunch we were told that they weren't set up for kids to bring lunches because they had no microwaves.  Another school proudly showed me their row of microwaves.  

One school showed on their schedule that the kids had two hours for lunch.  That gives people time to go home and have a hot lunch (and a siesta?).  But what about working parents?  It seems that many of them also have a break and many places close in the early afternoon.  I had heard stories like this but had no idea it still happened.



Here is an outdoor eating area at what we hope will be D.'s institute.
Three microwaves, but still a line.
I had also heard about people eating late.  I knew it must be true when D.'s former student suggested getting together for dinner at 8:30 p.m.  Good thing we got there then since it filled up later!  On another evening at another restaurant we arrived after 9 p.m. and even though our reservation wasn't in the books (don't try to book online) we were able to get a table.
We were glad to eat here.  It is surrounded by ancient Roman walls and the kitchen runs from where I am standing to the stainless steel wall just past where the man on the left is standing.
We would not have found this place without a recommendation and barely found it with one.

I was amazed how many restaurants there are in town and how they all seemed to be filled.  Seems like a nice lifestyle, at least for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment