Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fresh produce

When we lived in Ithaca we learned about CSAs, or community supported agriculture, which gives support to farmers by having customers commit to buying food before the season begins.  In Ithaca some of the farms require supporters to do work on the farm (I planted broccoli one day), which also allows them to learn more about the process of producing food.  It is nothing like that here.

I went to the annual Village Venture, a local arts and crafts fair, and stopped at the booth promoting a business that delivers organically grown fruits and vegetables.  They could be only locally grown, but if you want more of a variety you can accept that some of them are grown farther away in the state.  Other options include fruit only, vegetables only, and raw/no cooking (e.g., fruit, lettuce, bell pepper).  We chose to have a box delivered every other week, but we could get it more or less often and get a larger or smaller box.  

So far I have been pleased with the service.  It gets us to eat a variety of foods, the quality is good, and I like the element of surprise (although I could look online to see what is coming). 


packing slip
one week's food



1 comment:

  1. We got FFTY for a long time. Now we're using Good Eggs.

    I like that my local NPR station reads the school lunch menu the day before and the day of and I can pretend I'm one of those moms who strives for food diversity.

    ReplyDelete