Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bakery

Growing up in Cleveland I remember driving by the Hough Bakery factory.


I don't remember every buying anything there because Russo's (the local grocery store) had a counter selling Hough products.

from oldrestaurants.com
So when we drove by the Helm's Bakery on Venice Boulevard and the kids wanted to stop I assumed they wanted to admire the beautiful architecture and historic signs, not that they hoped there would be actual baked goods.




We pulled over and realized it was re-purposed and filled with people who buy those things on page two or three of the NY Times.  We (those of us over sixteen) did admire the architecture and signs, but those of us under sixteen had something else in mind.  One restaurant advertising delicious desserts was for the over-21 crowd only, but the bouncer said a separate bakery will be opening soon.
Lucky for us there was a former Helm's delivery truck parked by the bakery-to-be and a bow-tied vendor was there selling treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment