We have two citrus trees and each has a bubbler, similar to a sprinkler. There are no working sprinklers for other parts of the yard. I water by hand sometimes, but mostly the plants wait for the rain. Most places have sprinklers on a timer, including roadside plantings. Only a few of these seem to have sensors to prevent them from going off during the rain and immediately afterward.
The most common types are plastic, pop up when they go off and retract when they stop.
Recently I noticed some old metal sprinklers. I wonder how old they are.
Edited to add more. As soon as I posted this I started seeing more old sprinklers.
Last time I was in Ohio I saw some home with automatic sprinklers. Next they'll be selling ice to the Alaskans.







Work prefers the metal ones because they don't break, but they do get stolen, so all of ours are plastic. The timing system they're on can be manually overridden, but rarely is - apparently it has to be a real downpour to impact how much water the plants should have. (Also they tend to keep ours on the thirsty side because it's cheaper.)
ReplyDelete