In addition to San Francisco and the capitol
 |
| we stopped in Davis for crepes, |
 |
| to wander around campus, |
 |
and to gawk at bicycles. It is hard to imagine what it would be like when students are on campus. |
In Sacramento the other two went to the train museum, which I regretted skipping after seeing
 |
| lots of pictures about the mailroom on board |
 |
| and table settings from different lines. |
On the other hand, I found the
library next door fascinating!
 |
People use the archives (timetables, maps, photos, menus) to do research for books they are writing, family history, or simply out of curiosity. |
 |
| I just happened to find what has been called the essential book about cable cars (The Cable Car in America: A New Treatise upon Cable or Rope Traction as Applied to the Working of Street and Other Railways, by George W. Hilton). It is in the rare book collection a few blocks away so I may go read and learn more. |
 |
We met up and walked past the marker for Transcontinental Railroad Mile 0, through Old Town, and along the river. |
Our last outing of the trip was to Santa Cruz for
 |
| running |
 |
| and cycling. A good time was had by all. |
 |
| We slept in Paso Robles |
 |
| and had a beautiful drive home. |
 |
| Happy new year, everyone! |
No comments:
Post a Comment