Sunday, April 24, 2016

Earth Day

How to celebrate Earth Day?  I know it was Friday, but we observed it on Saturday.  I hung the laundry outside and cycled to the city's Earth Day event (and used the bicycle valet, but I think it would have been more convenient just to park it on the bike rack, but I wanted to be supportive).  I also did something that is probably not so Earth-friendly.

Earth Day hat
with the best recycling project in the background - buying used books!



Not so long ago I was so excited to get a new compost bin since the one we got when we moved here was falling apart.  I knew this one would be great because it rotated and was impermeable to rodents.  But it wasn't great!  It was too hard to rotate, too small, too smelly, and was filled with some sort of creepy larvae.  So I bought a new one, which is not great for the world since we should be lowering our consumption.  I hope if I give the old one to a friend it counts as recycling!

the new container with what is left of the old container

it is ready for its new home

These stickers (and more) are on the ground by the compost bins, which make wonder
(a) why didn't the person who ate the fruit or vegetable throwaway the sticker? and
(b) if it made it to the compost bin, how did it get out of the bin (do the worms spit them out)? 

1 comment:

  1. I feel like the stickers on food should be edible... like they shouldn't be allowed to take something that is edible and make it less edible.

    We had a rotating compost bin that we put together in our backyard, and once assembled, was too big to fit through any door. We ended up not composting because the city's compost was just too easy. I posted on Craigslist that someone could have it for free if they took it apart, through the house, and to their yard. I was shocked that someone actually did just that! I hope you're as lucky.

    ReplyDelete