Sunday, April 17, 2016

Needs and Wants



I didn't even know I wanted a 12" tempered glass lid for my cast iron skillet until I saw a brief mention of it in a cooking magazine.  At that moment I knew my life would be complete if I had one.  Sometimes I had to use my stainless steel skillet because it had a great lid even when I would have preferred my cast iron skillet.  Sometimes I used a wok lid even though it didn't fit and would fall with an enormous clatter.  This was the perfect solution and I found it on sale and had a coupon.

I have not idea what made me think to measure my skillet, but I didn't even need to since the size was stamped on the bottom.  Tragedy!  The person at Lodge encouraged me to give it a try so I took my skillet with me to the store.  The lid did not fit.  It sat on top, but I could easily imagine it also clattering to the floor.

Should I buy it anyway?  Should I buy a new 12" skillet, which was on sale and was a perfect fit with the lid?  Should I continue to muddle through?  I came home and looked for 11 3/4" lids that were not cast iron and not $225 (who pays that for a lid?).

Finally I shared my dilemma with D. and he went straight to our camping gear and found two potential lids.

It is not as beautiful as the glass lid, but it is significantly better than what I had been using.  I am content again.  Except for the perfect glass shade to replace one that broke.  If I had that then I would be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment