Thursday, March 28, 2013

Nano Days


In addition to the Nano Days event that David is hosting at the library, high school students will visit him at Pomona College and he hosted 170 students at Sycamore Elementary School yesterday.

Notice a cute soccer player in this picture?
With the help of colleagues and students, four stations were set up where students got to use an airzooka to move air molecules, explore the powder inside diapers, and make a bracelet out of beads that change color when exposed to sunlight.

Showing how clear nail polish can
show its iridescence (like a soap bubble).
Normally I don't write about David's outreach efforts, but I had the opportunity to be his lovely assistant and watch him at work.  I know I am biased but I thought he was engaging and explained things at their level.

I loved that most kids wanted to miss part of recess so they could finish their activity.  It might not have been the Exploratorium, but David brought a bit of a hands-on science museum to each child.

my new tattoo - whatisnano.org

Hope to see you at the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment