It's great to go to live theater. It seemed easier growing up, partially because my parents bought the tickets and did the driving, but also because the drive was shorter. We see a bit of theater here, sometimes at Candlelight Pavilion, the dinner theater about four blocks away, most recently The Drowsy Chaperone.
A couple weeks ago David took A. and a friend to see You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, which was performed by a children's group at Bridges Auditorium (a.k.a. Big Bridges). He was proud of himself for not bothering the other patrons by singing along, even though he knew all the words having performed as Snoopy in his childhood.
This weekend I had a chance to see Gruesome Playground Injuries, which was being performed at Pomona College's Allen Theatre as part of a senior thesis in directing. The play was written Rajiv Joseph, a Pulitzer Prize finalist, but known to me as the son of my father's dean and someone who was several years behind me at the same high school. Based on the title I would not have chosen to see the play, but was drawn in by playwright. Plus, I had told my parents I would see it. I am very happy to report that I was glad I went. It was entertaining and reminded why I like live theater. A review for the college newspaper can be found here.
And next? Maybe Sweet Charity at the dinner theater or The True Story of the Three Little Pigs at Haugh Performing Arts Center, which we haven't been to in ages.
No comments:
Post a Comment