Thursday, September 27, 2012

LA County Fair

I love the fair! I know people complain about the cost, but were lucky to have free tickets and free parking from our neighbor who works at the fair.  People complain about the heat, but we went when it was only in the 90's, found the shade, and looked for the misters right next to the fans.  People complain about the unhealthy food, which is funny since no one makes you eat it.  We bought Dr. Bob's ice cream, which is hardly a health food (16% butterfat), but is made by our neighbor and tastes fantastic.




Our first stop was Heritage Square where people can weave, spin wool into yarn, and make rugs from rags.  You can also watch a blacksmith, visit an old school house, and see brooms being made (including a copy of the Nimbus 2000).

Next up were the animals - a nursing mama pig and piglets, a variety of chickens, and a chance to feed the goats.  We skipped the milking demonstration and instead visited the well-hidden bee display, which were next to the gardens with eggplants, grapes, and sad-looking cucumbers.

The theme is Fahrenheit 451.
Sorry you can't see the menu or the little firefighter rainboots at the bottom of each of the table legs. 
My friend had never seen the competitive table setting display so we had to visit there next.  Themes included a table set with only things from the 99 cent store, a fancy dinner while camping with washcloths as placemats, and a election theme.  I have never seen anything like it anywhere else.





We walked over to the Millard Sheets Gallery and saw some of my favorite artists, including the woodworker who one year let A. help carve a horse and the next year let A. ride it!  This A. was entranced by Crispin Gonzalez, a artist from Claremont who was using the potter's wheel.





 A favorite part of the gallery is the art project at the end, which is different every year.  This year we had a chance to make a mosaic to keep or one to add the to the wall of community art.  I made the square with orange, pink, and green tiles and thought I was surprised to see another 3d tile right by mine.

We finished with a ski-lift type ride.  I forgotten that last year I had vowed never to do it again.  It is SO scary, but somehow I managed to take a picture without falling off.

Three-plus hours and $20 later, we found our car and went home satisfied.  Can't wait for more of the same next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment