Monday, April 21, 2014
Reality television
Thanks to one of my favorite bloggers, I had my first experience with both reality television and binge watching.
She had recommended the PBS show Frontier House, which was made following the success of 1900 House (and more House series were made). The show follows three families (chosen from more than 5000 applicants) as they live as homesteaders in Montana in the year 1883. Some parts are easier (only two days to get to their land, hired hands drive the teams of horses) and some parts are just as challenging (no toilet paper, taking weather as it comes). Having cameras in your life all day long were part of the experience, but it does not seem to inhibit anyone. There were only six episodes, but I enjoyed seeing how the people changed over five months. I would love to see an epilogue now that it is almost thirteen years after it was filmed.
I hope I enjoyed it because of the survival aspect and not the joy of watching people bicker (my daughter said if she wanted that she didn't need to watch a dvd). Maybe I'll check out another series.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Loved that show! I especially liked how after they got into their new 5000 sq foot house they felt lonely being so far apart from each other.
ReplyDelete