Sunday, January 28, 2018

Variations on a theme

At least I can get a blog post out of it.  Sounds familiar.

If parents of the high school mountain bike team members want to go through the training and screening they can become Class I coaches, which allows them to ride with the team but not actually give any coaching advice. A lot of parents do this because they enjoy riding with their kids. D. was one of those parents.

It is sometimes a challenge for a cautious adult to ride with fearless teens, especially going downhill. Zipping down a gravelly path and trying not to hit pedestrians led to a fall close to the end of a training ride. One of the other parents took a picture of the injury (available upon request) because D. couldn't see the extent of it and was going to head home. Instead he accepted the medical advice to go to the emergency room to have the the wound cleaned and stitched up.

The wait in the emergency room was long enough to make me glad I had time to grab a book, water, and a snack.  I felt a bit bad about not showering, but a friend pointed out that it was better to be stinky than to be contagious.

We spent a lot of time near the Laceration Cart in #3 PIT (physician in triage?) Area.
The people were all friendly, just trying to deal with multiple situations at the same time.

Yippee, no broken bones.

Eleven stitches. 

All cleaned and having vitals checked one more time.

The day was not what we had planned, but it turned out fine in the end. D. was able to sleep some last night and go to work today. Onto the next thing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of myself for figuring out what PIT meant.
    Here's to easy healing. It's not easy to keep up with teenagers in anything.

    ReplyDelete