Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Three Really Good Things

I don't know where I first read the head of Zappos asks potential employees how lucky they are in life using a scale from one to ten.  He claims seven is the right answer because ten indicates you have been handed everything and a lower number is unlucky, which doesn't match the company vibe.

I won't say my life is a ten (why tempt the evil eye?), but this week (way more than) three good things happened.  I am lucky!

Growing up in Cleveland I listened to baseball on a transistor radio (smaller than this) with my mom.  While I was in town this week I had a chance to listen with her again (still on the a transistor radio) and heard a bottom of the tenth inning two-out two-strike grand-slam homerun.  It was even better than being at the game.

My glasses had some sort of fogginess damage that is similar to what is shown above.  I took them to them to the place of purchase and they claimed to have never seen anything like it, but for a couple hundred dollars I could get new lenses.  Pass.  I lived with it until I went running in the rain (not in Claremont, obviously!).  I could barely see so I wiped them on my shirt.  By the time I got home there was almost no visibility left.  "What would D. do?" I asked myself.  Search online for solutions that have worked for other people.  And there it was!  All I had to do was use some sunscreen with titanium dioxide (according to D., whom I consulted since I trusted his knowledge of material science or adhesives or something).  And it worked!  Bliss!  Joy!

The last good thing was bad at first.  My charger had been damaged and fixed, but because I was trying to maximize the wifi at my parents' house I damaged the same area and it wouldn't work at all.  I could make it until I got home, but it would have been convenient to use it.  I went about the day doing the important things, like deciding which Shelly Berman and Allan Sherman records I wanted.  While I was looking I noticed a charger near the printer.  It turned out to be from a laptop my parents no longer owned.  And it was the right size.  Now that is good luck!

There were way more than three really good things during my time in Cleveland, but these stick out in my mind.  Plus, I don't want to make it sound like my life is a ten in case I get an interview at Zappos.

2 comments: