In December I wrote that we would be visiting the Skirball for the US Holocaust Memorial Museum 20th anniversary tour, and today was the day.
Trying to start off on a less-than-depressing note (but barely succeeding) we went to a movie about Jewish life before the Holocaust. It turned out to be a series of home movies that had survived. Each clip was accompanied by a narration (oral and with an ASL interpreter) telling where it was taken, who is was in it, what happened to the people, and how the film survived.
Afterward A. and I spent time outside working on a collaborative art project, talking to survivors and veterans (definitely one of the highlights), and learning about local programs. David and R. went to a talk entitled Technology in the Hands of Haters: Imagine www.thirdreich.com After lunch in the courtyard R. went to Mind Over Media: Are you More Powerful Than Nazi Propaganda? while A. and checked out the giftshop. We learned a lot at the talk describing stories of rescue and refuge in Latin America. The speaker used to be a history teacher and taught the Holocaust to students until she was reprimanded in a phone message and encouraged to focus on her people (Latinos) and their problems. That encouraged her to look at the intersection of her two interests, which led her to the museum and an eight-year journey discovering both questions and answers.
We decided not to stay for the entire day, subscribing to the notion that it is better to leave wishing for more. I did wish we had been able to stay for the tribute to Holocaust Survivors and World Ward II Veterans. As we were leaving we saw members of the Armed Forces arriving with their dress uniforms (and the shiniest black shoes!), but I wasn't able to get a picture for you. I don't think we'll get to D.C. for the national tribute ceremony on April 29, but I hope you'll consider going (free lunch included!) and share it with me.



No comments:
Post a Comment